I feel like I read so many websites that have the same tricks or tips.
Instead of whole eggs try egg beaters or egg whites. Why not try replacing your 2% milk with skim instead?
I sincerely feel like most advice is from thin people who think people who are overweight got that way because they’re stupid! I already know most of these tips. As a matter of fact, I think most overweight people know more about health and nutrition than thin people. I mean, if you’re like me you’ve tried so many diets and read so many facts, you could probably invent your own diet.
I’m not sure what the best tricks and tips are for losing weight. The only tips I know are the ones that work for me.
1. Practice saying, “No.” This is the most important one and it’s the hardest one to do. When I say practice saying, “No.” I don’t just mean saying no to an extra serving or no to my grandma’s cornbread stuffing. I mean practice saying “no” to yourself. I know it sounds strange, but saying no and then feeling the feelings that come with it makes you realize “no” doesn’t kill you. In fact, realizing you can say no even when you really “deserve” to say “yes” makes you feel strong. Start small and you will eventually realize you can go big.
2. When all else fails go for veggies/fruit and protein. Whenever I am confronted with eating at a new restaurant or eating at a potluck with friends. No matter how tempting other things are, I load-up on veggies, fruit, and proteins. They’re the safest bet. Plus, proteins fills you up faster for longer.
3. Gym, gym, gym! I know I complain about the gym and how hard it is for me to get there, but the gym saves my life. Not just with burning excess calories, but also with managing stress and keeping me motivated. Watching people I workout with starting to reach their goals and imagining what I’ll look like when I reach mine, really helps me stay motivated!
4. Water. I try to limit myself to one diet soda pop each day. The rest of the time I drink water, especially if I eat out. Not only does it save me money, but it helps me get those 8 glasses each day.
5. I know it is cheesy but say affirmations. A mentor of mine once told me that she started to lose weight when she started to feel better about her body. At the time, I thought how could I ever love my body. I mean, I have stretch marks everywhere. After I had my son, my belly started to droop in this weird way that looks like runny melting wax. My legs look like turkey drum sticks: normal calves and HUGE thighs. Then there’s my butt… the less said about that the better. Only, this older, wiser woman told me to look at all the body parts I hated and start saying, “I love my thighs.” “I love my butt.” “I love my belly.” And you know what… it worked. I love my thighs, my belly, and even my butt. I wouldn’t go as far as saying I love my stretch marks, but they don’t bother me like they used to.
So now we can add my tips to the endless list. If they help you or you have any of your own… let me know!